Sunday, May 10, 2009

IPL season 2 - getting better?

IPL season 2 saw a lot of drama before the real action of the matches begun. At one point of time it looked difficult to conduct the tournament. After various controversies, trials and tribulations, it was finally decided that IPL would be shifted to South Africa. There were again a lot of speculations if moving the tournament out of India was a good thing to do. Teams, franchises, sponsors, players and audience, all were divided in their opinion. A lot of them said IPL would not be the same in SA. Players said they would miss playing at their home grounds. At the end, all had no option but to accept the fate.

Currently, the IPL fever is on and we are well past the mid way. And what an interesting situation! It seems like barring Kolkata any team can make it to the semi-finals. People are supporting one team or the other with great fervor. But I am not enjoying it. Not that I am not interested in cricket or am averse to this version of the game. The problem is something else.

I do not have a favorite team as such, as I like various players from different teams. However if you ask me which team am I supporting the first name that comes to my mind is Delhi Daredevils. I have spent seven memorable years in Delhi and thus the connection. Theirs is a good team too, and a lot of the names are familiar. Virendra Sehwag-Gautam Gambhir combination is no doubt one of the best though it’s little sad that this duo has not performed well this season. I am glad that Gambhir finally managed to shirk off his not-in-form status and bagged the much deserved Man of the Match award. I am now waiting to see Viru’s explosive batting. I also like Vettori, AB De Villiers and Nannes.

Things would be very simple if it were just this. But at the time I have a soft corner for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) too, for obvious reasons – no not Shah Rukh Khan, though most girls go gaga over him; I was born and brought up in Bengal. Plus, I admire Dada’s grit and never-say-die attitude. They have been extremely unlucky this season and I feel sad at their plight. KKR had been surrounded by controversies even before the real match begun. First it was the multiple-captain theory and then the captaincy issue, which was handed over to Brendon Mccullum. Now when they are at the bottom of the table, much is being said about their pre-hype and SRK’s publicity stunts which did not bring any results. I want this bad run to end for them and as their latest commercial says, come back “RELOADED”. But I know that the dream run of winning the trophy has come to an end this season. All they can do now is bounce back and win the rest of the matches to save themselves more humiliation and criticism for as we know, when it comes to cricket Indians are fanatics. When the team does well and they like someone, they praise them and go mad appreciating and showing their love and affection for them. But, if the same team starts losing matches and do no perform, the same people who earlier had garlands in their hands now have stones instead. They even start abusing the team and hold them guilty for not living up to the expectations. They forget that at the end of the day it is a game where someone wins and someone loses. In India, especially in cricket, fans only expect the team to do well and keep winning. I can see the same fate for KKR. The fans were already upset at Sourav not given charge of captaincy. Now they will be ready to pounce on everyone, seeing the team’s dismal performance. So a couple of wins here should them some good.

These are the two teams that I support. But, there are two other teams that I like for only one person each – Mumbai Indians for Sachin Tendulkar and Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rahul Dravid. Sachin as we all know is an iconic player and I don’t like to see his team lose. On the other hand I have been an ardent fan and supporter of Rahul Dravid ever since I started following the game of cricket, which was way back in class VI or VII. He is one player, who I feel has not got the appreciation that he deserved. He has scored more then 10000 runs in both versions of the game but people have more often criticized than praised him for his skills. He is always considered a slow player, despite the fact that he has been the person who has held the Indian innings together a lot of times. Never mind what people say. I liked him and I still do. It was really nice to see him begin with a bang. He is the sole reason why I do not want RCB to lose a match.

That’s four teams down. However it doesn’t end here too :P I somehow like Kings XI Punjab for no specific reason. And lastly, Chennai Super Kings. Dhoni again is such a brilliant leader that I do not like to see his side lose. I feel sad to see that dejected look whenever his team is in a bad position. Other than this, I do not like the team on the whole. Like if there is match between CSK and any of the teams mentioned above, I would be supporting the other team. The toughest situation is when Delhi and Kolkata play a match. In fact they will be playing one shortly and I am with both the teams. This is a difficult situation as one cannot possibly cheer both the teams simultaneously. Such is the dilemma that I land up not watching the match. At least that’s what I did the last time. Let’s see what happens today!

The last two teams – Rajasthan Royals and Deccan Chargers are the only two teams I have never felt a connection with.  I do not want either of them to make it to the semi-finals. It would be great if Delhi, Mumbai, Punjab and Bangalore make it to the top four :)

8 comments:

Pranav..... said...

Ya well KKR is in a really bad way...all the media hype and the fantastic shirts and helmets go down the drain....and they haven't won a match since SRK left.
About Mumbai Indians- I really want Sachin to perform again- he really is India's greatest ever batsman- and after a great start he has managed 1, 34, 11, 2, 15 and 0 in his last 6 innings.....
About Dravid- ya he's great, but he HAS got the appreciation he deserved. Anil Kumble is the one who's never got it- and he's been India's greatest ever matchwinner.
Anyway, I like Gilchrist and Gibbs from Deccan Chargers, Sachin and Sanath from Mumbai, Anil Kumble from Bangalore, Sehwag from Delhi, Dhoni from Chennai ( though I hate Hayden and Symonds who's now in Deccan), Yusuf Pathan from Rajasthan and Ganguly from KKR. Though as you know there no one like SRT.
Anyway I think the semifinalists at this stage appear to be Delhi, Chennai, Deccan definitely. Place 4 is up for grabs and I hope its Mumbai.
Though I not being in the Mumbai team means I can only wait and watch! :P

Rakhi said...

And SRK said he would return to SA only if his team performs well! They lost the match today also.
I too would love to watch Sachin explode. It is always fascinating watching him play :)
No, Dravid has NOT got the appreciation he has deserved! And yes I too like Kumble and agree with your view.
I too want Mumbai to reach the semi-finals. The won a watch today. Let's just hope their winning streak continues :)

Rakhi said...

Aww baby love you!!

If there is something that doesn't interest people they would not care to read it. You are NOT interested in cricket and IPL but still you read the entire post and have posted a comment. This just shows your commitment, that you ARE going to post a comment on each of my posts! Thanks so much sweetheart. Muuuaaahhhh :) :)

Ok, Shah Rukh's team is KKR and not KKK, but never mind! Their performance has indeed been dismal but I would say a lot has to do with bad luck. Things are just not going their way. Not that they are not trying. Who doesn't want to win? But you do lose confidence after so many losses one after the other. They can only hope to come back reloaded next year. And for the current season, I seriously wish, hope and pray that they win 2 or 3 of their remaining matches. Should do them some good!!

After KKR losing out, I want Delhi to WIN!! :)

Tina said...

Hey no worries Prachi.. i am also as updated as ur on IPL.. so we share the same amount of knowledge..

N ya ofcourse m sad about Shahrukh;s KKK.. oops.. KKR ;) but im really happy for Delhi Daredevils..

So relax baby.. we are sailing on the same boat.. n m glad i have someone to share my no-knowledge on IPL :)

btw Rakhi i truly believe IPL has lost its charm ..

Rakhi said...

@Tin
When I first saw in gmail that you have commented on this post, I was really impressed. As far as I remembered you were not interested in cricket, at least I never heard you mention or discuss it. But I thought perhaps I was mistaken and you did follow IPL after all. And then when I read the comment, I was like haan main sahi thi :P

However, like I told Prachi, thanks for posting your comment on topics that you guys are barely interested in.

Delhi have just won their match against Deccan Chargers. Double bonanza as Mumbai can still make it to the semi-final :)

And Tin this time the entertainment quotient has come down. No film stars in the stadiums, barring Preity and Shilpa Shetty. SRK is back too. Last year you had Karan Johar, Arjun Rampal, Akshay Kumar and many others supporting their fav teams. Is that the reason you feel that IPL has lost its charm ;)

Tina said...

Yeah u know me so well.. i jst cant sit thru the entire match of IPL.. i wonder how ppl sit thru one day or test match..:)
Anyway i guess jst the fact that IPL is not happening in India makes it boring..
Inspite of not liking this sport.. last time arnd i sat thru an entire match at a STADIUM.. can u believe that.. i cant :) and the reason i went for this match apart from cheering delhi daredevils with friends, was to check out Akshay kumar's stunt (which was definitely a disappointment).. so i guess star attraction can also play a role..

Rakhi said...

That's a compliment Tin :P

Well it is all about passion and liking the game. Like I love reading but then many people think Oh God! how can someone read such a thick book. I cant get beyond 50 pages.

And I never knew you went to watch match LIVE, whatever the reason. That's great ya. This is one wish that I have, and I will ensure it is fulfilled, need not be IPL, One-Day would also do :)

Rakhi said...

I am really glad that RCB has made it to the semis. It is even better that they are not taking on Delhi. I want them to beat Chennai tomorrow and then meet Delhi in the finals (of course Delhi has to beat Deccan today). Fingers crossed :)