Saturday, May 9, 2009

How comfortable are girls in buying a sanitary napkin?

I have had discussions on this topic with my girl friends many a times. And the response has more or less been the same – most of them are still very uncomfortable in buying a sanitary napkin, which I would refer to as ST henceforth [This is another thought – the abbreviation for a sanitary napkin should be SN and not ST. But that is how we have been referring to it always. I wonder why. I guess the ST comes from Sanitary, but then what about Napkin? Strange!]

You walk up to any store and ask for one; if there are men around, you will surely see them staring at you. The person at the counter takes it out in a hush hush manner and then wraps it in a newspaper or puts in a BLACK plastic bag, sometimes even both. I wonder why! Not that I don’t know the reason, but it is so baseless. Why should it draw attention if I carry it just like that? What is so disgraceful about it that it needs to be concealed?

A lot of girls I know never buy ST from the chemist next to their place or any other shop that they visit regularly as they know the person sitting in the shop and thus feel embarrassed and ill at ease. This thought really bewilders me. Not that I blame the girls for thinking in this manner. It is the mentality of the men around them that gives rise to such self-consciousness. But why, that’s my question! And are only men to be blamed for this?

I would say it is the psyche of the people in India and how they look down on this whole process. In some parts of India, menstruation is still considered to be a curse and linked with myths and taboos. Teenage girls, especially in rural parts are not comfortable in discussing it with their parents or elders in the family. As a result girls are shy and embarrassed. Many a times they go through a lot of pain or trouble but are unable to share it with anyone. There are many NGO’s and other bodies working towards this and educating the rural community. But what about the urban class who are well educated and aware of everything. Why don’t they treat it as a natural phenomenon and stop being embarrassed about it?

Some people might argue that this is not the case. Well, I was in Delhi for 7 years. Initially, in our first year of college we used to hesitate in even telling our guy friends that we are chumming [Now most of them, including some girls, will not understand this term too I guess. It is a colloquial term that we girls use for “periods”]. Things changed gradually, a lot of credit for which goes to Eng Hons. Today I have no qualms in discussing or talking about it with most of the people. But there are times, when I too am a little hesitant despite the “bold” and “liberal” girl that I am. For instance, I could never tell a male colleague in my office that I was chumming. However I am still better off than most of the people I know. Girls still are not at ease talking about this.

I remember, once I wasn’t feeling well as I was down, when a guy friend of mine called me up. When I told this to him, one of my girl friend who had come over to my place raised her eyebrow and looked up at me in a very surprised and shocked manner. She later asked me how I could tell a guy that I was down. I asked her what was wrong in telling him; we were good friends after all. She then told me that she could never talk about this with a guy, no matter how good a friend he is.

My earlier posts on PMS evoked mixed and varied reactions. Most of the girls liked it and appreciated that I have expressed the pain and feelings aptly. But some of them asked me how I could post such a thing on my blog. Till the time girls themselves have this notion in their heads, this issue will always remain as it is. They need to stop feeling shy about it in the first place. It is only when they are themselves comfortable, that they can expect people to behave normally.

19 comments:

shilpa sanghai said...

well..i guess i agree with evrything u have to say there.
Even i wonder y they call it ST..infact jab PG mein sab bolten tha tab mereko lagta tha ki yaar ST kyun bolten hai..nd i remeber the first tiem i met u u said to shivani Di "di, down hun!! :( "..i thght ur mood was off or smthng..he he

And yes, even i hesitate to buy from a shop near my place though these days i try not to think about it much..and yes, if there are men around i do feel shy..
about the sharing with guys..i could do it only with Prateek..mujhe kafi baar lagta hai ki mein to phir bhi bol dun but then its my male collagues who will judge me for my frankness and honesty..so at the end of the day it boils dwn not to what u think but also wht ppl arnd think and perceive..

Rakhi said...

I also remember our first meeting. I had come from Pitampura and as soon as I entered everyone told me "teri junior aayi hai, tere hi college mein aur tere course mein bhi"...When I came upstairs you were washing clothes in the common washroom. Shivani introduced us and you said Hi, to which I replied sternly that call me Maam ;) I don't remember the down bit though!!

I do not hesitate to buy it from anywhere but yes, you cant help but feel slightly awkward when there are men staring at you.

I agree when you say that people "judge" us for our frankness. I missed this point in my post. One of my friends commented in a very sarcastic tone about my PMS entry. According to some it is not befitting to put thoughts on such topics on a public forum. When will people change I wonder?

Tina said...

Well.. i too agree with this.. different girls take it differently..

when talking about male friends.. i guess it all depends on the kind of relationship u share with them.. and ofcourse telling a male colleague is definitely a no-no for lot of girls... but then again it depends on the other person too..

For instance, once in our office, we were planning for a weekend trip to shivpuri.. when i said that i mite not be able to go and before i cud say why i cant go.. a male collegue of mine with an equal amount of ease said "why its cos ur date is coming" n ofcourse he meant the chumming dates.. and as i expected everyone took this remark in the group very casually.. no eyebrows raised..

Anyway well i guess Rakhi.. lot of girls mite be comfortable buying sanitary napkins from the next door chemists.. but why not give a thot on "How comfortable are girls in buying a CONDOM?" lol..;)

Rakhi said...

@Tin
Agreed girl, the comfort level sure depends on the kind of relation we share with our male friends/colleagues. However the general mindset happens to be such. Plus you have been in Delhi all your life, and trust me things are much better there. Here, I cannot think of talking about this with any friend; he is bound to think its immoral to do so, and Delhi has "spoilt" me!!

As for your last remark Tin, as far as I think, guys do the needful. And I have heard from some friends about their first experience of buying one ;) But yes, be it a guy or a girl, it sure is more difficult buying a condom than a ST!! This too, should make an interesting topic to research and write on. Lets see!!

Retard said...

Ha! i shudnt write a comment here..but this is so funny..I mean whats d big deal..well i have bought ST sometimes for my girl(oh! X-girl) when she was down n ill together..And most f d educated guys wont find it a Haw-haw topic at all..Sorry for entering the 'girls talk'..but there shud b somebody to represent boys too..u just cant talk about us like dat!! :)
BTW even i had trouble getting the full form..neways none of my business..

Retard said...

One more thing..u know d best thing is to educate each other..if there is a guy who is a good frnd n he hasnt been with girls too much or doesnt knw much about stuff u knw..just talk, discuss, educate..i mean only if ur comftbl wid dat person..if he has a head on his shoulders,even if its empty he will understand..
Am i not making sense at all.. :|

Rakhi said...

@Mudit
Sabse pehle, aapne hamara blog visit kiya, uske liye bahut bahut shukriya :)

Well it is not like only girls can comment on this post. In fact it is good to have a guy's view and as you said somebody representing the boys.

Now let me clarify that when we refer to all the male gaze we surely do not refer to educated boys like you. And like I said, after college, and more so Eng Hons I have no issues whatsoever. I have brought them in the company of a male friend. But many girls still do have qualms about it. I know for sure, coz I have written this after a lot of research and questioning.

As far as the comfort zone is concerned, as I said above, it really depends on the relation you share with the person. Like in our office, obviously all the people were educated. But whenever someone would be down, they would not say so. They would just say its a headache or simply they aren't well.

And the best for the last. If you read my post, I have mentioned ignorance on the girls' part as well. I have referred to the rural class there, but I've met some girls in Delhi and Kolkata who did not understand the word down even!!

Rakhi said...

You are making perfect sense Mudit and I agree with you...only talking and discussing things will lead to awareness. Here, understanding is not the issue, the main factor is breaking the ice and starting the conversation. It again boils down to the comfort level you see :) What say?

Pranav..... said...

The question is why- why can't people muster up courage to buy STs, or condoms, without a second thought. I know its weird when people are staring at you. How about asking the person why they are staring and whether their mother/ sister/ wife/ daughter never need/needed a napkin?
Out of a million girls, 100 walk the streets unabashedly, without appearing furtive or anxious. Only 100 stand on the footpaths in a shady corner and just relax, smoke fags. Only 100 have absolutely no inhibitions. And out of a million boyfriends, 25 will support this behaviour from their girlfriends.
This is the crux of everything- a woman's image in society and how to change it. Because 999900 women are discreet, scared, restricted, playing "safe", the 100 who don't are regarded as whores, bitches, randis, etc. etc. If even 25% of this 1 million would start exuding the sort of confidence and naturalness that the 100 do, society's perceptions would change.
It is imperative to educate men too, from a very young age, about the need to respect women's FREEDOM. I emphasize freedom and NOT honour. If you respect someone's freedom you would automatically respect their honour. FREEDOM is a word even stronger than rights, for it encompasses all spaces, all acts that are not malevolent, and cuts across all boundaries.

Rakhi said...

Pranav you have a valid point here. Ok since you are so closely associated with Blank Noise let us take the case of eve-teasing - “I NEVER ASKED FOR IT.” Why do you think eve-teasing has been on the rise? One reason is that whenever such a thing happens, girls react submissively and appear “furtive and anxious.” Things will surely be different if they had the courage to look them in the eye boldly instead of panicking. But it is not so. So how do you expect them to question the people if “their mother/ sister/ wife/ daughter never need/needed a napkin?”

The dynamics change somewhat when it comes to smoking as here the concept of morality comes in. Many people regard it as an immoral act. Then there are some who believe that girls should not smoke. So smoking openly in the streets only aggravates the bias and is considered blasphemous. However the bottom line is that people should not really bother about what others are doing. Life would be so much better for everyone!

To sum it up, we both have the same point to make – girls have to change their mindset. If only they are aware of how they CAN make a difference by doing so!! And if only we have more guys thinking like you. I truly respect you for the way you respect women and their freedom :) Kudos!!

Unknown said...

I totally agree on the thought that untill and unless girls don't come out of this uncomfi feelings and dont stop making a big issue about it... it will draw attention... I think its ok to talk about it with men... and one should be bold enough to go and buy some at their local drug store.. its a natural thing...nothing anyone can do about it... is there??? hehehehe anyways girls who are still shy and uncomfi...bug up please.

Rakhi said...

@Nicky
Intellectual fiesta indeed! I am glad it had led to this discussion but thanks to all those people who are reading it and then sharing their opinion! Else it would have been just another post with only your comment:P

I have never felt the hesitation either, not in Kalimpong, not in Siliguri and not in Delhi either. Like you said it is a normal process, but only if other girls also understood this!

Also, talking about this and explaining it to people, esp guys surely would help. I appreciate Piyush's gesture too. Here, I have to say here that it is not easy for me to talk about it with my cousins. Like I could never tell Appu that I was down. But now, I'm sure I can!

You have made an interesting point on lingerie; reminds me of some random excerpts from books that I have read.

I now wait to hear from other people on this topic. Lets see what are their views and what all they come up with!

Rakhi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rakhi said...

@Archana
Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated! And girls buck up!!

www.inneresolve.blogspot.com said...

you just spoke my mind out and i think chumming is as natural a thing as eating food or having sex...... I also dont get the point as to why is it a big deal for people

Rakhi said...

@Innerresolve
Thanks a lot for the comment. Do you also practice Buddhism?

Mohini said...

Today is my 1st time visitng ure blog Di..and it was a gr8 start...im sure i'll njoy reading the journey..nd yeah after reading this section i'll probably be more confident to buy Sanitary Napkins from any store..i can't wait for mine to start...jus wanna show it off..

Rakhi said...

@Mohini
Hey sweetheart I am glad you took out time to read it. I am rather surprised that you did remember it :)

Yes, you should have no qualms whatsoever in buying ST from anywhere. I have already said a lot in my post anyway.

And yes start your own blog . Make no further delay. I shall wait :)

Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

well said rakhi. i recently walked into a chemist. felt awkward as i tried to locate what i had come in search for. the men in the shop, there were five, and only one female customer, looked at me quizzically. but on locating the particular brand of STs( sanitary towels, so im told ) i just looked at the male attendant dead in the eye and told him in an offhand nonchalant manner to give me two packets. since they all saw i refused to be awkward and behaved as if it was any other daily chore, promptly everybody went back to their business. we're beyond the stage of people around us comprehending what we want and need and pray and hope that they can read our minds. if we breed awkwardness, it just grows. :) thanks for sharing.