Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Must Do List



All of us invariably have a list of things that we want to do. Unfortunately as we grow up, we get so entangled in the web of life that we hardly have time for anything. We start leading a mundane life and all our interests/desires take a backseat. We attribute it to lack of time and then the must-do list becomes a wish list. Something like that was happening with me. However I am glad I did not get trapped in it. I have lost out on time and some opportunities, but never mind. I will not let those desires be only desires. I will try and fulfill as many of them as possible. So here goes my list; not a WISH-LIST but a TO-DO List :)

1.  Learn a Foreign Language, preferably French – I think most of us have this desire to learn a foreign language. But how many of us do it? Several of them do enroll for a one year course, but is a year sufficient to have a command over a language? I don't think so. Anyway, I missed out a great opportunity that had come knocking my way. My college, Hans Raj, offered a foreign language course in French and German. I remember getting the form and filling it. However, since the timing for the course was in the afternoon from 3 to 5, friends suggested that it was an odd time and I would be missing out on a lot of fun. Actually we were new to Delhi and the first thing that was there on our minds was to explore the city, roam about, and have fun. So when one of them changed her mind, the other did the same and eventually following the herd mentality I too dropped the idea. Oh how I wish I had made the right decision at that time! Anyway, there is no point regretting. As they say, there is no age for learning. Perhaps I will sometime :)

2.  Play a musical instrument with panache – I have an intense passion for music and a deep fascination for musical instruments. Music, in fact, has such an overwhelming effect on me that I sometimes wonder if I were a musician in my previous birth or had some kind of connection with it. Anyway, I like many instruments but the GUITAR has always lured me the most. I wanted to learn how to play it. And I am so glad that I have finally started with the classes. I could have done this long time back had it not been for my habit of procrastination but the good thing is that I have begun. So far, so good. The teacher also seems to be nice. His fingers move so effortlessly, I just love to watch him play! Someday I too want to be play like him.

3. Travel – Travel is like an investment in oneself; it transforms and changes us. There is so much to learn from travelling. I want to travel around and be amidst the lap of Nature, exploring, indulging and discovering the self. I would love to go to Europe, but there are so many places in India itself that I long to visit – Kerela, Mumbai, Ladakh, Shimla and the entire north-eastern belt. Being in Bengal for so long, I am yet to visit Gangtok. It can’t get worse. Moreover I keep talking about it but do anything. It’s time to stop talking and act! I am seriously going to start in August. Fingers crossed for this one.

4.   Photography – Photography has captured my attention for quite some time now. And there are no barriers except that I need to get a camera. I don’t want to buy any ordinary camera and yet it would not be a very good idea to invest a lot either, because knowing me my interest might just wane once I am in possession of it. Things look attractive only till the time they elude you. At least this happens with me a lot. So I want to start with something in the mid range and I am saving for it. Once I buy one, the escapade will kick start. Only hoping it is not too late!

5.  Write – I want to write more. I want to move on from narrative accounts to some serious writing. Nicky wrote a post on The Existential Dilemma. I was writing a comment and then realized it was turning more into a post itself. Maybe I can begin with that itself. Existentialism and it’s variants of any kind have always enthralled me. So it would be a good topic I suppose :P

This is not all. This is definitely not an exhaustive list. There must be some other things that can make this list, but this is all that I am reminded of currently. I, however, do not want to wait in the hope of remembering some more and extending this list. There can always be an addition later. 

4 comments:

Nupur said...

Baaaaaaaabessss!!! Its so cool that you have already started taking guitar lessons.. and look at me I'm still planning.. but this time I'm gonna get my guitar from bhai and start learning! Traveling yeah of course even I wanna do..so do remember me whenever you have plans! :)

Rakhi said...

Rehne de...You have a day's leave and you're talking about travelling. Our plans will never materialize.

Similarly, about the guitar, let me know when you start. Only then will we talk about it :P

heedful-human said...

The first post of yours I have read :)

Welcome to the world of 'Quarter Life Crisis' :|

There is a nuance behind the'passion taking backseat' - undoubtedly,the culprit is our faulty lifestyle but at the same time,we increasingly keep on preparing 'to-do' notes and satiate our conscience for the time being by saying 'I will take it up later'.BOOM ! There goes your passion(s) for a toss.
If you ask me,I would insist on acting in accordance of the Nike tagline - 'Just Do It'.
I wind up my essay by suggesting that start up with something and persist !!!

Rakhi said...

First of all, thanks a lot for taking time out to read and sharing your thoughts.

I do agree with what you've said and so this time it wasn't about just preparing a to-do list. You said "start up with something and persist... that's what I am doing... Began with guitar. Have been learning for 3 months and this is not something that is going to die down :)

Having said that, the other thing that also can be done is to write more often as I have expressed. Here I need to push myself.... there is no reason why I am not doing it... I guess here I just have to listen to what you've said... "Just Do It" :)