Saturday, July 18, 2009

You make me proud brother

Ravi, my brother, has topped his college (Hansraj, my Alma Mater too :D) in Eco Hons, 1st year. He has scored 80% - now such high percentage in a subject like Economics was unheard of, at least during my time. The standard might have gone up, as the university topper has scored close to 90% but the fact that he comes from a Science background makes it all the more special. Moreover, there was a huge hullabaloo over his taking up this course. I was rebuked by my dad and many others for encouraging him to drop Science and take up B.A (Hons).

Dad always wanted me to take up Science, but I was not interested. So I took up Commerce in the eleventh grade. He was a little disappointed but there still was some hope. It was, however, all lost when I chose to graduate in Literature. He was unhappy with my decision but Ravi kind of made up for it when he decided to take up Science. Lost hope was rekindled and papa was very happy. But maybe destiny had something else in store for him. He did not make it to any of the good engineering colleges, missing some of them by just a whisker. He did not want to drop a year and said that he wanted to shift to Economics instead. Now, the course is good and has great career prospects. But I too wasn't very comfortable with the idea of him dropping Science. However I had to change my mind as he was determined and absolutely sure that he did not want to drop a year. Plus he had other valid points too. So after weighing all the pros and cons, I agreed. Dad was dead against it but I explained things to him. There was no point in forcing him to either take up a college he did not want or get him to drop a year. So he eventually enrolled in Economics. Dad of course wasn't happy and I had to hear a lot of times that it was not a right decision.

Right or wrong I still do not know. I don't know if he would have done better with Science. I only know that I had trust him and he did not let me down. I also know that you are sincere and hardworking and will do well in life. You make me proud brother. Keep rocking :)


Ravi (left) with his friend after receiving the awards on the Annual Day :)

Receiving the award :)

4 comments:

Pranav..... said...

Ya this is a common problem with Indian parents, and a very rigid mentality- Science is good, Commerce is ok types and Arts is rubbish (or meant for girls). It's very sad, but at least in Bombay I have seen parents being SLIGHTLY open-minded since the past few years. Of course, this is only slightly, and a lot of them still regard Arts with disdain, but I hope this will change one day. After all, the world lives in aspiration doesn't it? Or else we would cease to live...

P.S.: You are lucky your parents allow you to guide your brother's decisions. In my house I am not allowed to advise my sister. She is not allowed to address me by name, even though I do not mind. I'm 22 but still a kid.

Rakhi said...

Things have surely changed. Today one has so many options even, and not necessarily limited to their field. It comes down to the fact as to how does one make most of the opportunities around.

About Sharvari not addressing you by your name, well that's alright. You are a kid I agree, but she is younger to you :)

Prianca said...

hi
wanted to comment here since long..but never got the time...visited ur blog earlier and devoured it in one go....must say, u writer really well.
nd congratulations for ur brother.
you have maanged to touch a very sensitive issue ina wonderful manner. i can only say that we are known by the choices we make and you, surely, have made some well thought choices for u and ur bro.
cheers!

Rakhi said...

@Prianca
I really should have replied earlier, it's been more than a month. But I haven't been active so that's why the delay.

Next, thanks so much for the comment and more for the compliment :)

Cheers :)